Friday 6 December 2013

Understanding My Concept

So now I have figured out my final ideas, I obviously got here through researching and finding inspiration in order to get to here, my final design. I thought I would recap briefly on my research and concept to ensure I understand the meaning behind my designs and how I got here. As stated in previous blogposts I was greatly inspired from african tribal markings and firstly wanted to create an westernised version and found the idea interesting to see what these type of markings would look like on white skin, which finally gave me the idea of african albinos and found a huge influence from the beauty of their skin and the qualities they portray. I also wanted to shed some positive light on african albinos - due to the fact that they are sometimes frowned upon in african villages and seen as outcasts, obviously due to their skin. African doctors have officially said they believe albinos are magic and have the ability to cure illness. Resulting in the albinos being hidden everyday from poachers in case of their limbs being amputated in order to add to medical potions.
So that being said I wanted to create a look that will embrace the beauty of albino skin and create scarification as it isn't often you will see an african albino apart of a tribe. So as for scarification, I create my design on my face chart and kept it reasonably symmetrical, however  thought it would be relevant to go into a little more depth and create a meaning behind the scarification I create in my final design. Also to ensure I have more of an understand behind the concept of my final design.

 M E A N I N G  O F  S C A R I F I CA T I O N

So the way I see it is that scarification is a very similar concept as tattooing. However tattoos seem to not show up as well on black pigmented skin. Which is where scarification came in and became socially valuable. Scarification involves in cutting or puncturing the skin, some more profound depending on the type of tool used. In Africa, scars were used to signify courage, strength and fortitude. - Also enhancing beauty and being socially acceptable. (In both men and women)
Going through scarification was highly valued and the type of pattern depended on the quality of the artist and obviously the tolerance of pain. As you can imagine can be extremely painful yet beautifully complex. To create an incision of the scar, they will use a sharp object (such as, a knife, glass, or stone) in a way to control the shape of the scar tissue.
As for a woman, her tolerance of pain signified her maturity and willingness to bear children. The scars would also portray the difference between each tribe.
It seems that scarification in many parts of Africa are dying out and are only normally seen on the elderly.
Seeing as I designed my tribal scarification on the face I decided to look into the meaning of facial scars and it seems it is possible to identify one tribal group to another. I feel this fits in quite well with the fact I chose to design the scars on the face, as it is inspired from african albinos, it's a positive thought to apply the identity scars on the face, as it is almost like I am creating an identity for albinos as it seems most of the time they can never be apart of a tribe, sometimes they are even abandoned by their own family.

                       

Above are two images that I found inspiration from when producing my design.

T R A D I T I O N A L  A F R I C A N  F A C E  P A I N T 

African face paint can be worn for many reasons such as, religion, tribal rituals, identity, or scaring ones enemy. 




http://www.ezakwantu.com/Gallery%20Scarification.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment